Many people believe that taking a shower consumes less water than taking a bath. But recent studies have shown that a third of the water consumed in the average home goes to showering.
Recently, there has been an effort to conserve our fast depleting potable water and energy by developing showerheads that use no more than 2.0GPM. These low flow showerheads are designed to be efficient in conserving water whilst providing a satisfactory shower experience that is equal to or better a regular showerhead.
We’ve taken some time to look at the various low flow showerheads in the market and we’ve come up with the best-rated showerheads for this review. Read on to find which one is the best choice for your bathroom.
The Best Low Flow Shower Heads Are:
|1.High Sierra 1.8 GPM High-Efficiency Low Flow Showerhead||Check Current Price|
|2.Delta Adjustable Water-Amplifying Showerhead 75152||Check Current Price|
|3.High Sierra 1.5 GPM Hand Held Shower Head with Slip-Free Grip||Check Current Price|
|4.Niagara N2515CH Sava Fixed Mount Shower Head||Check Current Price|
|5.American Standard FloWise Transitional 3-Function Water Saving Shower||Check Current Price|
|6.Niagara N2915CH 1.5GPM Chrome Shower Head||Check Current Price|
|7.Speakman S-2253-E2 Adjustable Low Flow Shower Head||Check Current Price|
|8.Aqua Elegante 3 Inch Low Flow Shower Head||Check Current Price|
|9.Speakman S-4000-E175 The Reaction Low Flow Shower Head||Check Current Price|
1. High Sierra 1.8 GPM High-Efficiency Low Flow Showerhead – Top Choice
The High Sierra 1.8 GPM High-Efficiency Low Flow Showerhead is the newest showerhead from High Sierra. It is one of the best low flow showerheads in the market.
The secret to the high efficiency of this showerhead is the FCS patented nozzle. FCS technology breaks up a stream of water into large droplets to give you just the right amount of flow for an invigorating shower. The water comes through a single orifice to create the spray making it unlikely for the nozzle to ever be affected by hard water clog.
This showerhead has a water flow of 1.8 GPM which will conserve water at almost 25% less than a 2.5 GPM showerhead. However, this does not mean you’ll have a weak spray. This is because even though the flow is less, this showerhead will maintain the same velocity in the water flow. In addition to saving water, your costs of heating the water will reduce at the same percentage.
- Adjustable swivel head
- Unique FCS single nozzle design
- 8 GPM
- Solid metal construction
- Features a specially designed nozzle that delivers a full coverage spray.
- The solid metal construction ensures durability and is naturally antibacterial
- The showerhead conserves up to 25% of water and heating costs
- It does not maintain the water pressure in a low-pressure situation.
Known for its innovative and high-quality showerheads, High Sierra has developed this green showerhead with unique features specially designed for low-flow showerheads. This showerhead is WaterSense Certified and has a consumer rating of 4.6/5.
2. Delta Adjustable Water-Amplifying Showerhead 75152 – Best Dual Setting
The Delta Adjustable Water-Amplifying Showerhead 75152 features an adjustable shower head that offers adjustable 2.5 GPM or 1.85 GPM flows. Using H2Okinetic technology, you’ll be able to switch the flow between a powerful drenching shower and a water-saving flow while still giving you the feeling of more water.
This showerhead has more coverage, intensity, and warmth than a standard showerhead while at the same time you’ll spend up to 36% less water. The spray holes are self-cleaning to prevent the build-up of limescale and mineral deposits.
- H2Okinetic spray pattern
- Water volume control lever
- Easy to clean spray holes
- Dual flow settings
- The showerhead offers a low flow spray pattern that feels like a regular showerhead but you’ll use up to 36% less water than a regular showerhead.
- Dual flow settings that allow you to switch between a high volume spray of 2.5 GPM to a relaxing 1.85 GPM spray using the water volume control lever.
- It has 4 large spray holes that deliver 3 times more coverage than a regular showerhead
- The head doesn’t swivel so you cannot get a directional spray. Also, some users noted that the spray is too powerful if you’re in a small shower space such as a bathtub. It gets water everywhere.
Although this showerhead is manufactured with high-quality ABS plastic, the manufacturer offers replacement parts and a limited lifetime warranty to guarantee the quality of their showerheads. This showerhead is also popular with people who have low-pressure water coming in. It comes at a great price and a rating of 4.5/5.
3. High Sierra 1.5 GPM Hand Held Shower Head with Slip-Free Grip – Best Handheld
We’ve found that a handheld showerhead is more convenient to use in the bathtub than a wall mount. If you’ve got a bathtub then you’ll love the High Sierra 1.5 GPM Handheld Showerhead with Slip-Free Grip. The water flow is at 1.5 GPM but with the same powerful spray as a regular showerhead. It is perfect for rinsing long and thick hair without stress and also spend less time in the shower.
Another great feature is the trickle valve which allows you to control the volume of water or to completely turn it down to a trickle thus allowing you to conserve even more water. The spray comes powerfully in large droplets which will give you the sensation of a drenching spray.
- Solid metal shower head with a brushed nickel finish
- 72″ metal hose and solid brass shower head holder
- Trickle valve to control the volume of water
- WaterSense certified. 1.5 GPM saves water and energy.
- The Slip-Free Rubber grip holder helps you to maintain a good grip on the showerhead and also it prevents the conduction of heat when the showerhead gets hot from the hot water.
- The head is fixed on a swivel ball joint to give you directional spray.
- This unit comes with a wall mount bracket which gives you the flexibility to use it as a fixed showerhead.
- Attached to it is a 72″ metal hose that is long enough to rinse out the tub or shower enclosure with ease.
- The shower head is on the high end of the price spectrum.
Though it is expensive, this showerhead is top quality and one of the most durable showerheads in the market. If you can afford it, it is well worth the price and it has excellent ratings at 4.6/5.
4. Niagara N2515CH Sava Fixed Mount Shower Head — Best Coverage
This one is for those who love a wide coverage shower, especially if you have a cold bathroom. The Niagara N2515CH Sava Fixed Mount Shower Head features a wide 4.4″ face wide coverage and single spray function. The head is fixed on a 360 degrees swivel ball that allows you to adjust the angle of spray.
Are you having low water pressure? This showerhead features a pressure compensator mechanism that guarantees the showerhead will have a powerful and consistent flow regardless of water pressure.
Another feature we should mention is that this showerhead is constructed in solid brass which is encased by a thermoplastic ABS body that comes finished in chrome or white.
- Large 4.4″ spray head fitted on a 360-degree ball joint swivel
- Corrosion-resistant thermoplastic ABS body
- Patented Equiforce technology
- 10-year limited lifetime warranty
- 5 GPM
- It provides enough pressure at 1.5GPM flow to deliver a drenching shower and at the same time save up to 40% of water compared to a regular showerhead.
- The easy to clean rubber nozzles are well spaced to give you even coverage with consistent force.
- The head swivels easily to give you directional spray.
- The nozzles deliver thin streams of water which means that the water is much cooler than expected.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive low flow showerhead, you could consider this showerhead. It will give you a pleasant shower and save you water bills. It has a rating of 4.1/5.
5. American Standard FloWise Transitional 3-Function Water Saving Shower — Best Wall Mount
You do not need to sacrifice a good refreshing shower for water conservation with the American Standard FloWise Transitional 3-Function Water Saving Shower.
It uses Turbine technology which is a turbine mechanism that spins pressurized water which is dispersed to flow evenly and with force. This creates a drenching shower experience while at the same time conserving water.
This showerhead allows you to transition between 3 spray settings with different flow volumes to suit your showering experiences. The full spray and combination spray each delivers 2.0GPM flow.
The turbine spray, which is the default and automatic setting, delivers 1.5GPM. The head is adjustable to give you different spray angles depending on whether you’re in a bathtub or shower stall.
- Angle adjustable showerhead
- 3 spray functions: full, combination, and turbine settings
- Turbine technology
- The showerhead automatically resets itself to the lowest turbine spray setting which allows you to transition easily from rinsing your hair on the full spray setting to a spa experience on the turbine setting
- It saves water and energy costs. It uses less water so you’ll not have to worry about the hot water getting finished before everyone has showered.
- The turbine spray is more of a spray mist which means that the water is cooler. This means that unless you use it during the hot summer months, you’ll need to turn up the water temperature to use this setting.
This showerhead comes in chrome or you can spend a little bit more for the brushed nickel finish. Overall it works well and is good value for money. Rating 4.0/5.
6. Niagara N2915CH 1.5GPM Chrome Shower Head — Best Massage
Next on this list is the Niagara N2915CH 1.5GPM Chrome Shower Head. It is one of many in a series of low flow showerheads from this manufacturer. It is also a massage showerhead that features 9 jet turbo massage settings that you can easily transition from gentle to high-pressure jet.
This showerhead saves up to 40% less water than other regular showerheads but it also maintains a powerful consistent flow even in low-pressure situations. It uses a pressure compensating technology to boost water pressure so it is an ideal low flow showerhead if you have low water pressure.
Another great feature of this shower is that it does not experience temperature loss. This is because the water stream is non-aerated so it’ll maintain most of the heat in the hot water.
- Pressure compensating technology
- 9 massaging jets and three spray settings
- Non-removable flow compensator
- It delivers reduced water usage and also reduced energy bills because it maintains the water temperature.
- It has Equiforce technology that compensates the water pressure and guarantees a consistent flow.
- It has a steady non-aerated stream with a large spray diameter
- If you have long hair or thick hair you may find it takes longer to rinse off.
This showerhead is great if you’re on a budget because the price is budget-friendly. Also, you may want to consider it if you have limited water or you’d want to keep your water bill low without compromising on a great shower. It has a rating of 4.5/5.
7. Speakman S-2253-E2 Adjustable Low Flow Shower Head — Best for Low Pressure
If you’re looking for a high-performance showerhead the Speakman S-2253-E2 Adjustable Low Flow Showerhead will deliver just that. It’s a simple, classic showerhead designed to deliver intense showers in any water pressure.
The sleek, compact frame of this showerhead features specially designed nozzles that compress and build up the water pressure to deliver a powerful spray even in low water pressure. It comes equipped with Anystream 360 degrees technology that allows you to transition easily between 32 customizable sprays.
- Anystream 360 degrees technology
- 32 full-coverage, customizable sprays
- WaterSense Certified 2.0GPM water flow
- 4 jet nozzles
- If you have problems with low pressure, this showerhead will deliver a powerful blast even with the flow restrictor on.
- The spray is even and concentrated to reduce splashing.
- Conserves water and at the same time gives you an intense drenching shower.
- The showerhead is 2″ wide so it does not provide a wide coverage spray which would also reduce the pressure
This showerhead is a favorite for hotel owners because of its high performance in giving intense showers and at the same time maintain a low water and heating bill. It’s also very well rated at 4.4/5.
8. Aqua Elegante 3 Inch Low Flow Shower Head — Best Pressure Boosting
The Aqua Elegante 3-Inch Low Flow Shower Head would make an excellent gift package for weddings or house warming events. The shower itself is an elegant design and it comes in 4 attractive finishes to choose from.
This showerhead flows at 1.8GPM which will save you 0.7GPM. So for a 10-minute shower, you’ll save 7 gallons of water. It also boasts of having an easy to remove flow restrictor if it becomes necessary to boost your water pressure up to 2.5GPM which we don’t recommend since we’re trying to conserve water.
- Removable 1.8GPM flow restrictor
- Tough and durable ABS thermoplastic body with a choice of 4 metal finishes
- Silicone self-cleaning nozzles
- You’ll get a no questions, 5-year money-back guarantee if you somehow find that you do not enjoy this showerhead.
- The water pressure is excellent and will give you a full force spray even in low pressure.
- It comes in 4 metal finishes of chrome, brushed nickel, oil-rubbed bronze, and polished brass to choose from
- It does not have a variety of sprays to choose from but it will give you a firm concentrated spray for a refreshing shower.
When delivered, this showerhead will come in a beautiful packaging box making it a perfect gift for a loved one. It’s a well-regarded showerhead with excellent user ratings at 4.7/5.
9. Speakman S-4000-E175 The Reaction Low Flow Shower Head — Best for Money
The Speakman S-4000-E175 The Reaction Low Flow strong shower head is another high-performance showerhead, especially for low-pressure situations. It’s specifically designed as a single function showerhead with a single spray setting that concentrates and intensifies the water pressure to give you a powerful, pulsating shower experience.
It features TempoFlo Technology which is the mechanism that adds energy and velocity to the flow resulting in a high-pressure spray for low-pressure water.
- It comes equipped with TempoFlo Technology that adds force to the water flow
- It has a powerful, single function spray performance
- The showerhead face is available in transparent Dusk Blue, Smokey Gray, and Jade Green colors
- WaterSense Certified75GPM water flow
- This showerhead works especially well with low-pressure situations.
- The water pressure and volume will rinse out thick hair quickly saving you time in the shower.
- Adjustable swivel head
- It does not have a variety of sprays to choose from
This showerhead has excellent reviews at 4.5/5, especially from users who have low water pressure. Its colors will not necessarily match with your bathroom decor but it will deliver a high-performance spray. Also you can add a translucent shower curtain to spruce up the decor of the shower.
What to Consider when Buying a Low Flow Showerhead
Low flow showerheads are efficient in minimizing water usage whilst giving a consistent flow of water. A good quality low flow showerhead should be able to deliver less than 2.0 GPM water flow while maintaining a water pressure of about 80PSI.
Low flow showerheads use clever designs and technology to mimic a normal shower experience but using less water. The flow should be constant regardless of the water pressure but ideally, the flow should be less than 2.0GPM.
Using less water also reduces the energy required to heat it. To keep the energy bill manageable, the showerhead should maintain the water temperature to a comfortable level.
Aerated water streams generally lose heat in the air and you’ll end up with cool water instead of hot water. If you live in a hot climate area, an aerated showerhead could be an option for you.
For it to achieve the pressure, the low flow showerheads utilize unique pressure compensating mechanisms and nozzle designs that optimize the flow of water.
If you have low pressure consider choosing a low flow showerhead that guarantees to spray with enough force. Some good shower heads come with a removable flow restrictor valve to boost the water pressure. This is not ideal because when the valve is removed, the water flow is boosted to 2.5GPM which will not conserve water. Sometimes due to dirt and dust, the water pressure could be disrupted so you can use an all-purpose bathroom cleaner to clear out all the dirt and dust.
Low flow showerheads come in both mounted and handheld showerheads. Some of the mounted showerheads are fixed on a swivel ball joint that is adjustable to give you directional spray.
Good handheld showerheads are convenient to use in a bathtub or if you have kids and pets to wash because they come with a hose. The showerheads also come with a shut-off control button or valve that reduces the water volume to a trickle while you soap up.
Many low flow showerheads come with various spray settings that vary from mist spray, massage spray, to drenching spray. The different settings can be used by different users according to their preferences.
To Wrap Up
There are many reasons to get a low flow showerhead. The major reason is that you can reduce the water and heating bill considerably and still have a great shower. And with advancements in design and technology, most of these showerheads are adaptable for use in any water pressure.
High Sierra 1.8 GPM High-Efficiency Low Flow Showerhead is the smart choice if you’re looking for a top-quality low flow showerhead. Its non-plugging FCS nozzle delivers a powerful spray that is the right force for showering and rinsing hair but also uses 40% less water.