Your choices for bathtubs run the gamut. There are different tubs based on installation and function. When it comes to installation, you have the option of choosing the freestanding or the built-in bathtubs.
For built-in bathtubs, there are usually two choices: drop in and alcove. A drop in bathtub is basically a tub that you can just “drop in” place wherever you want it to go. It can sit directly on the floor or can be propped up on a platform. There are many benefits to using this tub compared to the alcove tub.
If you are looking for a drop in bathtub to install in your bathroom, you came to the right place. Today, you will learn more about the best bathtubs with a drop in style to buy and what features and functions to look for.
In this Guide
- Best Drop in Bathtubs Reviews
- Alcove versus Drop In Bathtub: Which is a Better Choice for You?
- Which One Should You Choose?
- Things to Consider When Buying Drop in Bathtubs
- What to Do Next?
Best Drop in Bathtubs Reviews
1. American Standard Evolution Bathtub with Dual Molded-In Arm Rests
The Evolution boasts of 60 x 32 inches of size and has a deep soaking capacity. It is a stylish tub that has sleek internal contours for more comfort. Made from acrylic material reinforced with fiberglass, you can be assured that this tub will last for a long time. It also retains heat well, so you have more time to soak in your warm bath.
Aside from a drop in installation, it is also flexible enough to accommodate alcove installation. You can get the optional apron as well for a striking look. The tub bottom has been pre-leveled, so you can install this with ease. The armrests are also dual molded-in to provide you with superior comfort.
- This tub has a lot of flexibility. It can be a drop in or an alcove tub.
- This is a deep tub that allows full body immersion. It is also quite long, so even taller people can stretch out and won’t feel cramped.
- A lot of customers can attest to the comfort of this tub. They said it is so comfortable, they can fall asleep soaking in this tub.
- It has a nice and solid construction. It doesn’t feel flimsy and you can be assured that it will last for a long time.
- It isn’t difficult to clean at all. The material makes it easier to keep clean. It also doesn’t get moldy or smell musty.
- It fills up water fast.
- This tub won’t break the bank.
- Some said it might not be ideal for wider people. The width can be constricting for heavier people.
2. Jacuzzi BUX XXX Signature 60-Inch Drop in Soaking Bathtub
This bathtub has 60 by 36 inches of size. It is made from high gloss acrylic that guarantees longevity and quality. You can install a shower rail. The deck is wide enough for such a fitting. It has a finish that is slip resistant as well. The bottom is textured, to prevent slipping.
You will also find this tub very comfortable. It has 25 degrees of lumbar slope for excellent comfort. There is also the option of placing the drain in different directions, thanks to its reversible installation feature.
- This is a well-constructed tub. It has a good design that allows you to sit back comfortably even for hours.
- The acrylic finish of this tub allows it to last for a long time and resist common issues such as corrosion. You can be assured that this tub is also easy to clean and maintain.
- The size of this tub is just right. It has plenty of room for your feet to move around.
- It is not heavy on the pocket. This tub has a reasonable price that will not break the bank.
- Some said this tub is not too heavy. Even only one person can move and install it with ease.
- There aren’t a lot of negative reviews about this product.
3. Kingston Brass Contemporary Acrylic Bathtub
If you are looking for a more flexible option, this is a good choice. It can either be installed alcove style or can be used as a drop in tub. It also has an optional apron. Made from 3-5 millimeters of acrylic material that has been reinforced with resin and fiberglass, this tub will resist all sorts of wear and tear. It can last for a longer period of time. With its 64 gallons of tub capacity, you can fill it up with enough water to allow deep soaking.
It has a high-end look that can give the more expensive cast iron tubs a run for their money. This tub has also been designed to be used in smaller and more constricted spaces.
- This can be used as an alcove or a drop-in tub.
- It has a lighter weight that makes installation of this product easier.
- It looks great no matter what design you are aiming for in your bathroom.
- It is available in left or right hand drain. This can accommodate the needs of more people.
- The acrylic material used in this tub is thicker than others and has also been reinforced with resin and fiberglass for added durability.
- It is resistant to damages. When scratched up, it also can be fixed easily because of the enamel surface.
- Some said this might not be as deep as others are expecting because of its installation.
4. Carver Tubs Rectangle Drop In Self Draining Whirlpool Bathtub
This is a gorgeous drop in bathtub that has nice contours and ergonomic features for better comfort. It will feel as if you are relaxing in a spa with this tub. It has a lot of features including the Carver Clean Whirlpool System that self-drains effectively. It completely drains out water. It also features a natural disinfectant quality. The 3 Speed Quiet Whirlpool Motor can be adjusted to low, medium and high-pressure settings. It also comes with an air speed control to customize your comfort.
- This tub is spacious enough for 2 people. You can sit back and relax comfortably and have a lot of room to move around. It is deep enough for complete soaking and immersion.
- There are armrests on both sides of the tub for added comfort. You can use this tub to get rid of those muscle aches. In fact, it has been created to relieve muscle stress and provide a deep tissue and relaxing massage. The massage jets incorporated in this tub targets the muscles.
- It drains water effectively. It is also resistant to the formation of algae, molds and mildew.
- Since the material used to create it is non-porous, it is easier to clean.
- It is more expensive than others.
Alcove versus Drop In Bathtub: Which is a Better Choice for You?
Which between the drop in and alcove style of built-in tub is the best choice for you? Either of the two is ideal but it still boils down to your specific preferences.
A drop in bathtub is good if you don’t want to do a lot of remodeling work. Since it can work even when not placed against a wall, this is a bathtub that you can easily install. Those who are installing their bathtub without the help of professionals might find this a better choice.
Another benefit to using a drop in tub is the way it conceals the plumbing fixtures. All those pipes and hoses are concealed, for a cleaner and more organized look. If you are going for a minimalist approach in your bathroom, this should be a good choice.
Many of the drop in tubs today also have nice shapes. They allow for deeper soaking or immersing compared to the alcove counterpart.
Alcove bathtubs are tubs that require a specific type of installation. Three of the sides of this type of tub should be directly connected to a wall, hence the name alcove. Some people put a glass door or even a shower curtain on the front side for additional privacy.
This type of built-in installation may be more ideal for people with mobility issues. You can install safety railings or grab bars on the walls of the alcove to make getting in and out of the tub easier.
Alcove bathtubs are typically rectangular in shape, so that doesn’t really leave so much room for the customer to decide which one to get. On the other hand, the drop in tubs have more flexibility when it comes to style choices. You can choose from oval or even square shapes, whatever suits your space better.
After checking out the different tubs out there, here are the ones we found worth buying:
- American Standard Evolution Bathtub with Dual Molded-In Arm Rests (Most Comfortable)
- Jacuzzi BUX XXX Signature 60-Inch Drop in Soaking Bathtub (Least Expensive)
- Kingston Brass Contemporary Acrylic Bathtub (Most Durable)
- Carver Tubs Rectangle Drop In Self Draining Whirlpool Bathtub (Most Spacious)
Which One Should You Choose?
Now, which of these products is an ideal choice for you?
Provides Superior Comfort: American Standard Evolution Bathtub with Dual Molded-In Arm Rests. This drop in bathtub is a good choice for people who are looking for a tub that has a good size for stretching out and for deep soaking. A lot of people can attest to how comfortable this tub is for soaking.
Lightweight Choice: Jacuzzi BUX XXX Signature 60-Inch Drop in Soaking Bathtub. This tub is one of the lightest out there. You can easily install this all by yourself. It is also built to last for a long time and has a shape that enhances comfort while using it.
Flexible Option: Kingston Brass Contemporary Acrylic Bathtub. This bathtub is a good option if you are looking for either an alcove or a drop in installation. It is well-built as well and has a nice design that allows the user to sit back comfortably while soaking.
Spa-Like Comfort: Carver Tubs Rectangle Drop In Self Draining Whirlpool Bathtub. This tub has a myriad of features that promote comfort. It has massage features to alleviate pressure aches and sores.
Things to Consider When Buying Drop in Bathtubs
When buying drop in bathtubs, you would want to take the following things into consideration:
Choose the right type of material that you know can provide you with the benefits you are looking for. A flimsy material might not last long and might be susceptible to corrosion and damages such as scratches and dents. A material that is long-lasting and has anti-corrosion properties would be a great choice for those who want a long-lasting tub or those who don’t have time to do a lot of maintenance.
Also make sure you choose a good material that can retain the heat of the water in the tub effectively. Materials such as reinforced acrylic and cast iron work in retaining heat.
Check the finish as well. Make sure the finish leaves off a nice gloss to the surface of the tub. Porcelain or enamel finish helps in preventing dirt from sticking to the surface. Certain kinds of finishes also prevent bacteria and molds from growing.
Size and Shape
Decide where to install the tub and measure that area. Check how deep and big the tub is going to be. Make sure it will fit in the space you have allotted for it.
Shape is also a good factor to consider. You should be able to effectively lounge in the tub. It should have a nice and ergonomic shape that will allow you to lean back comfortably.
Do you want to turn your bathroom into a spa-like place where you can relax and unwind? Consider getting a tub with massage features then. Look for those incorporated with jet features that will help in alleviating pressure points in the body.
Does it come complete with everything you need for installation? Find out how easy it is to install. Look for a tub that is easier to install even without professional help.
Another point to consider is the price. Pick a bathtub that has a price tag that is within your budget range. It should also come with a reasonable warranty to protect your purchase.
What to Do Next?
Make sure you choose the right tub for your bathroom. Check out our guide to the best bathtub for more information on which tubs to choose.